Monday 27 August 2012

Topsy Turvy

I severely underestimated the power of the ocean. Waves are hitting 5m swells, and it's getting pretty intense on the ship. Plates were sliding off tables at lunch today, and someone got slammed straight into the window. I personally have walked straight into a pillar.

Most of the time I find it pretty fun though. When else can you walk around like you're completely drunk, except its because you're losing control of your limbs? It's almost like a humongous roller coaster. And after a while you get the hang of it. You start to time your step so that it lurches you forward instead of to the side, and it feels great to walk and yet feel like you're running. Of course the ship then hits a mega wave and you get completely thrown off balance. It's also funny to see everyone swaying in rhythm to the music of the creaking walls or sliding objects.

Still enjoying getting to meet new people and finding out everyone's story. It's actually been an eye-opening insight to a more conventional American college, although in so many ways this is nothing like it. One of my friends from a huge university was telling me about how much he loves this smaller, more intimate setting and many other reasons why this is completely different from his school, and it struck me, and made me really happy, that everything he listed was basically all the ways this is also similar to Reed. So… for the 12032 people here i've met who don't know about Reed, and the angst I feel momentarily when I realize that's basically what it's gonna be like among employers, i'd say it's worth it.

Also, i learnt the Korean alphabet yesterday and its written construction (so I can finally make sense of the words now), from a white boy who's spent all his life in America. How cool is that.

No comments:

Post a Comment