Friday 24 August 2012

Beauty

First dolphin sighting (of hopefully many to come) today! They were just swimming in the wake of our boat, a fair distance off, but definitely visible.

And as I set in my deck chair, enjoying one of the best sunsets I've ever seen (and its tough to beat Sabah's…), surrounded by the ocean, it just hit me how lucky I am. Of course I've heard it before, from people at home or at Reed who don't get to do this, or other SASers congratulating us on the presidential scholarship, but it's so different to intrinsically feel fortunate yourself. Perhaps i had certain subconscious fears or misgivings before?

Anyway, today I realized that no matter how tiresome the socializing that's going on now may be, or how much work we didn't realize we would have to do as presidential scholars that is now coming to bite us in the butt, I am going to school in the middle of the freaking sea. The sheer beauty of what surrounds us and the parts of the world that we will soon explore overrides ANYTHING. I feel like i could be content just sitting on deck, reading a book into sunset, every single day. But the beauty is, I can actually do that, and so much more.

I suppose i'll need to be remembering this post if I ever feel frustrated or unhappy in the next 106 days. Then I'd probably ask myself wtf I was on as I wrote this. Lol.

But all I'll have to do is look out a window to be reminded of the beauty of this world. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment